Friday, August 17, 2012

First Week of School!

We had a great first (half) week of school!  Students are starting to get into the routine (as well as the teachers), and I think we might have almost a "regular schedule" day next week! :)  We have started math and reading group rotations.  Students are enjoying learning about numbers and 100 charts this week in math, and we did an informal assessment for word study and reading this week as well.  Students read aloud a book based on their spring levels for first grade and we will be starting "formal" reading groups next week.  Our PALS tests are scheduled for August 31st and Title I and Reading Lab are set to start August 11th (after all the grades have had an opportunity to test).

Students had a blast sharing their personality bags!  We started by the teacher pulling out items from the bag and students got 3 chances to guess whose bag it was, before the owner was asked to stand up.  I really enjoyed learning about my students this way.  I have now learned that Pokemon is well loved by a lot of the boys and girls, and that the boys especially are into Star Wars, super heroes, and motorcycles, especially!  The students were impressed by my knowledge of Pokemon, so I guess I lucked out my son went through that stage not too long ago!

I am looking forward to another great (and longer) week!  I hope you have a great weekend and thanks for giving me the opportunity to work with your children!


















No comments:

Post a Comment